Monday, June 8, 2009

A little update on progress.

Time for a quickie update on Skeeter. She's gone swimming a few more times and has even *drumroll please* gone in without having to be backed!!! WOOO! We did NOT break that record! And she also did 2 laps for the first time. The next time she went, she just did one lap so as to not try too hard and exhaust herself and when she came down her heart rate was at 125! She's definitely getting fit fast.

Now that she's starting to get fit through swimming, I've decided it's time to up the workouts a bit. There is an AQHA show in July I would love to go to (a lot depends on finances, of course) so I really want to get Skeeter as fit as I can to make it there.

So, on days that Skeeter isn't swimming, we're working in hand and on the longeline with a neck sweat. I don't really like to work my horses for very long on a longeline. At the most, I may do about 20 minutes of work. Once the horse is sweating well and has worked for a while, I like to quit. There's only so much going around in a circle that I can handle.

Skeeter's routine is a series of circles at a fast trot (usually around 20 or so) followed by a series of loping (about 5 right now, because she still isn't good at holding her lead). Then we walk, reverse and do it the other way. Quick, fast, dirty workouts. Gotta love em.

New condition pics! These are from June 4. I'm super excited to see the progress this mare has made in her fitness already.

The Booty Shot:

Still need some work here, and the way her hair is worked up from sweating looks wonky.
The Chest Shot:


I'm really pleased with how she is coming along.
The Side Pic:

Skeeter wears two neck sweats. She has on a red neoprene sweat and a thin blue nylon sweat to help increase the heat. The nylon one doesn't really do much other than help hold it all in place really get the sweat going. Here's a pic of Skeeter trotting on the longe.

This one shows the sweats. Well, the blue one, anyway. Are you ready for this? That thing is a SMALL. Small for a draft maybe, I dunno. But basically it's going to be falling off soon it's so big. Maybe it needs more layers under it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment